The Burlington Northern Railroad's downtown Tulsa section passes through a set of bridges that range from the 1930s to the 1980s. The bridges at Boston and Boulder avenues, third and fifth respectively in the Photograph, were built around 1930. The Boulder Avenue bridge remains open and has a 10-ton load limit. The Boston Avenue bridge has been closed since 1976, and city officials say plans are in the works to convert it to a pedestrian bridge. The Detroit Avenue bridge, foreground, was built in the 1970s. The second and fourth bridges are the Cincinnati Avenue and Main Street bridges, both of which have been replaced through projects funded by the 1977 bond issue. The Cincinnati Avenue bridge opened in December 1981, and the Main Street bridge should open within a couple of weeks. The Elgin Avenue crossing, foreground, recently was rebuilt. One other bridge, the Third Street bridge (around the bend and out of view, was replaced and reopened in 1978. On the left behind the Detroit Avenue bridge is a "Frisco" warehouse, and the old Tulsa Union Depot is partially visible behind it. The Nichols Transfer and Storage Warehouse can be seen in the distance on the right. Photograph taken April 17, 1982.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.