Aftermath of the December 1897 fire on the west side of Main Street between 1st & 2nd. The Bliss Building, the first permanent building in Tulsa, is on the left. The Tulsa Banking Company is in the middle, the Price Gillette store is on the right. The fire originated in the Gillette store. A combination of a leaking shipment of kerosene and a central wood burning stove are believed to be the cause. Tulsa's Volunteer Fire Department responded to the alarm (a pistol shot). Following the fire, the Tulsa Banking Company erected a sign informing customers that banking would continue at the J.M. Hall store.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Preservation and archiving of this significant Tulsa treasure of photographs and artifacts was made possible through the Tulsa City-County Library and the Tulsa Historical Society, and the generosity of Tulsa World/Lorton Family, Chester Cadieux, the Rotary Club of Tulsa, and many other community-minded corporations, institutions, and individuals.