View looking north on Boston Avenue from the Boston Avenue Methodist Church prayer tower in 1954. In the lower right corner of the photo is the Horrace Mann School, which later became a correctional halfway house. The structure was eventually demolished. On the right side of Boston, the white building in the middle of the photo, at 10th & Boston was the Sinclair Oil & Gas building. The building was later occupied by Tulsa Junior College (TJC), today it is the Metro Campus of Tulsa Community College (TCC). The building across Boston from the Sinclair building is the Ginnette building. Originally the building served as a furniture store and later became the American Airlines building where the airlines trained their hostesses. KOMA radio station occupied the top floor of the building. Other prominent buildings in this photo include the National Bank of Tulsa building (320 S. Boston), the Philtower building, the First National Bank of Tulsa (the white building on the left at 5th & Boston), and the Mayo Hotel (also on the left).
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Preservation and archiving of this significant Tulsa treasure of photographs and artifacts was made possible through the Tulsa City-County Library and the Tulsa Historical Society, and the generosity of Tulsa World/Lorton Family, Chester Cadieux, the Rotary Club of Tulsa, and many other community-minded corporations, institutions and individuals.